There is currently a faction war going on! View Stats
There are currently 3 active property auctions. View Active Auctions
Oak
Caporegime
Game name: Sean_Oak, Rufus_McIntyre

What is RP?

August 27th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Rather than the traditional how to guides, I decided to create one exploring what the previous lack. An actual explanation of what roleplay is, and what it's all about.

Roleplay (RP)

According to Urban Dictionary roleplay is defined as:

To act and speak as if you are the character you're portraying. To roleplay is as much about what not to say as what TO say. It means to keep your speech in the context of the setting in which your character (or avatar) exists. Context can be defined as both time and place.

And according to Wikipedia, simply : To refer to taking a role of an existing character or person and acting it out with a partner taking someone else's role, often involving different genres of practice

What does that mean? As an helper, the thing I saw new players struggled the most was with understanding what mixing/IC/OOC was. Why? Because, the wannabehelpersyetabsolutlynotcapableofbeing just said "use /b ur mixing". Here's how I usually explain what roleplay is.

When you roleplay, you take the role of a character. As in, it's not really you in the game, but someone you control. Much like an actor and it's character.

And that's the main point. Separating what your character is from what you are. To roleplay, or to a larger extent, to act, you must understand where the line is. THAT is what people that aren't mixers understand. But this isn't roleplaying. Yet.

Once you understand it, you can move to another field, which is something I hate. Using commands, more especially /me. And this is where most fail to understand on what roleplay really is about. Why do some people do a /Me about them taking 3 steps back. Can't they move their character instead?

And while it's true that some people over-do it, others under-do it. No, I'm not saying you need to constantly go like "/me takes his gun out of his ass". Not at all. I'm referring to a certain form of Powergaming. Something I see a lot of times , which I find retarded is during arrests, this scenario:

Cop: Get in the car
Criminal presses g
Cop drives away

Who is powergaming? Both. Because they're killing any chance both have to roleplay. I'll explain this a little better after my next example

Cop opens car door
Criminal goes in
Cop drives away

Did the cop close the car door? No? Then why can't the criminal jump off the car? In the first example, since both assumed that the door was opened/closed, both were cutting any chance for the crook to escape. In the second example, the Cop roleplayed, and so did the criminal (Note: You don't have to use /me you can just move your character), and in this case, the criminal can, in theory, jump out of the car.

And this is why I say people either excessively use /me, and at the same time really underuse it.

When you roleplay, you control a character, which does a lot of things, and can have several different actions and traits. You don't need to mention that your character has a tattoo in his face, nor that you take one step foward and two steps back (yes, the song). What you need to do is make sure everyone understands what your character is doing. Roleplaying isn't using /me to be able to use commands. It's actually about being creative and rather than doing the same thing over and over again, you get to experience different things. Something everyone hates - going to PD to get a /weplic. Guess what, it's boring because you want to go in and get the command, rather than doing something that is, well, mundane, yet where it allows you to interact with different people. Take Greenbean's hotdogs for example. It was actually fun to be near him, because he'd talk to you and actually make you visualize what was going on.

What most people think roleplay is, not only is wrong, but it's actually more of a thing than RP.
Roleplaying is fun, if you know how to , and whom to roleplay with.
What's wrong with IM's RP? It's that it's mostly /me takes a gun out and pew pew. Rather than actually being different, everyone's a clone.

Reese
Associate
Game name: Domencio_Marcato

Re: What is RP?

August 27th, 2014, 9:23 pm

"IM isn't rp server " comments coming in 3...2...1
리스

Donald
Faction Leader
Game name: Donald_Capazzo

August 27th, 2014, 9:24 pm

TL:DR

RVSH TO YOVR DEATH

PaC
Soldier
Game name: Ramires_DeMarco, Quinn_Miller, Ramirez_DeMarco

August 27th, 2014, 9:28 pm

#OakForHelper!

Verq
Enforcer
Game name: Vito_Cozzone

August 27th, 2014, 9:29 pm

xSpaceGodd wrote:"IM isn't rp server " comments coming in 3...2...1
IM isn't rp server

Oak
Caporegime

August 27th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Verqz0 wrote:
xSpaceGodd wrote:"IM isn't rp server " comments coming in 3...2...1
IM isn't rp server
Yes, because IM isn't RP, it's RPG

RP - Roleplay
RPG - Roleplay Game

<.<

Deanyardo_Davinchi
Associate
Game name: Jerome_King

August 27th, 2014, 9:57 pm

IM sucks many dicks when it comes to RP, this guide is useless unless you wanna join an RP server. topkek. Good guide Oak.

Donald
Faction Leader
Game name: Donald_Capazzo

August 27th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Massively multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPGs) combine the large-scale social interaction and persistent world of MUDs with graphic interfaces. Most MMORPGs do not actively promote in-character role-playing, however players can use the games' communication functions to role-play so long as other players cooperate.[29] The majority of players in MMORPGs do not engage in role-play in this sense.[30]

RVSH TO YOVR DEATH

Oak
Caporegime

August 27th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Smoke wrote:Massively multi-player online role-playing games (MMORPGs) combine the large-scale social interaction and persistent world of MUDs with graphic interfaces. Most MMORPGs do not actively promote in-character role-playing, however players can use the games' communication functions to role-play so long as other players cooperate.[29] The majority of players in MMORPGs do not engage in role-play in this sense.[30]
"as other players cooperate" That's exactly the problem, which is why there is a need for administrators/moderators.
MMORPGs do'tn really engage in roleplay because as the first letter states, they are /Massive/, and as such it's a hard to enforce the rules. Rules other than scripted ones. Taking LoL for example. People used 3rd party apps, so Riot just developed that app and built it into the game. (Yes I know LoL isn't a MMORPG, but that's how most big companies handle their games - they don't need as many rules because the script disallows certain things).

So, you basicly pointed out that IM is Modern Era Runescape.

Carrone
Retired Admin
Game name: Michael_Carrone, MIKKEL_KERON, Nathan_Boyd

August 27th, 2014, 10:46 pm

it is somewhat of a ''modern'' runescape indeed. runescape would be an MMORPG whilst I'd say IM is an MMORPGshooter
Our Father, who lifts in Heaven Hallowed be thy gains; Thy gym doth come, Thy curls be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily protein, and forgive us our asymmetries, for we forgive those who curl in the squat rack; and lead us not into cross-fit, but deliver us from cardio. Wheymen.

Deanyardo_Davinchi
Associate
Game name: Jerome_King

August 27th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Then the name is pretty fucking misleading lmao.

Vic
Soldier
Game name: Jaffar_Pearce, James_Lahey, Leroy_Lennox, Sebastian_Schoenbeck, Jjjjjjjjjjjjj_Jjjjjjjjjjjjj

August 28th, 2014, 8:22 pm

fucking NOOOOOBB
Fuck man... rulebreaking is more addictive than heroin.
https://youtu.be/zN8VOsJCJLk?t=37

Oak
Caporegime

August 28th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Here's something I forgot to mention:

When you roleplay if you do actually bother to be smart you can turn situations to your advantage. Some people used to scam people by OOC commands, but one thing that could actually be legit would be to pay someone IC, and not actually paying them if they don't bother to check the content of whatever you hand to them. I mean, as long as you roleplay it.

frozen
Retired Admin
Game name: Enzo_DiPietro

August 29th, 2014, 1:09 am

The server is going down and down each day.

Logan Davies
Outsider
Game name: Lucies_Cattaneo

August 29th, 2014, 2:11 am

Common IM good RP server but LS RP better than IM and the server is not going down and down it's normal not going up or down
Cattaneo's™ ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
"IF U TRIED TO BE AN ASSHOLE U WILL BE JUST A PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT"

Return to “Outdated Guides”