Outlaw
Outsider
Game name: Gregory_Maxwell

How to improve your writing? Look here!

March 7th, 2015, 11:10 pm

Part 1: Punctuation.
Part 2: Improvement of roleplay and how to write good applications and stories
Hello there, folks.

Well if you want to look professional in your sentence's forming and if you missed a lot of English classes, look here.
Lately, I encountered some players who don't know how to use punctuation and it's a big problem because it changes the meaning of your sentence, and that shows that you're not capable of roleplaying etc.

Introduction:
The punctuation is one of the most important basics of English, and all languages that's why you have to use them in your roleplaying to look more professional and other, so this guide is here to help you and the usage of each one, also I'll add some of English basics for the minor English skills and that needs improvement.
Why do we use punctuation?
Well punctuation might have some effect on the meaning of the sentence, so it's important to use them either in your roleplaying or in any message, letter in your life.

I'll write some sentences with punctuation and I'll try to add most of the punctuation needed, and I'll re-write it without punctuation so you can see the difference.

"Gregory found his sources of happiness cooking his family and his pet"
"Gregory found his sources of happiness: cooking, his family and his pet."

In this example, the comma changed the whole meaning.
Without punctuation, the meaning is Gregory loves cooking his family and his pet, Gregory sounds like a cannibal!
With punctuation, the meaning is Gregory loves cooking and he loves his family and he loves his pet, Gregory is sweet and adorable.

"Let's eat dad"
"Let's eat, dad"

The comma changed the whole meaning, in the first sentence, you're talking like a cannibal who wants to eat his father, but in the second one you're inviting your dad for some food.

"Your donation just helped someone get a job."
"Your donation just helped someone. Get a job."

The first sentence, you're telling an individual that his donation just got someone a job, you're generous and kind!
The second sentence, you're telling an individual that his donation helped someone, and he should get a job.

"I love you."
"I love you!"
"I love you?"

You can conclude the meaning by yourself here.

So we can conclude that punctuation can deliver diverse meanings of a sentence, and here's the usage of each one:
  • The comma ","
  • The comma is used to separate a lot of items in a sentence OR writing a lot of adjectives in one sentence, because you cannot more than an "and" in a sentence.
    For example: I ate some rice, meat, chicken, salad, juice and a dessert.
  • Also it's used to pause before proceeding, it's not necessary but it's a relief for the reader, to organize your sentence.
    For example: The boy saw his mother coming, he ran to open the door.
  • It's used to describe the first part of the sentence, like if you want to add a description for what you said, you add a comma and proceed.
    For example: This man looks professional, he holds a leather briefcase and wearing a nice toxido.

• The fullstop "."
  • The fullstop is used to end a full sentence, having all the meanings you need and if you want to write a new sentence with new concept, also when the reader sees it, he feels that that the sentence is neutral, no emotions in it.
    For example: I'm attending to a party tomorrow at 6 PM.
    Note:If you're saying a normal sentence, it's required to put at the end of the sentence to organize your sentence.

• The colon ":"
  • It's most used for listing some a lot of elements or items.
    For example: She placed the following things in the drawer: a pencil, a ruler, a gun and a book.
  • Also it's used to precise a saying, a quote or giving an example.
    For example: Gregory said: "We must be more professional."

• The speech marks " "..." "
  • It's used to indicate a saying along with the colon, like in the example above.
  • Also in some roleplay occasions, it points indicates a referring word in the sentence, or for sarcasm on a specified word.
    For example: Are you interested in my "stuff"?
    The individual said "stuff", if we removed the speech marks, the word loses its suspicions.
    So when he said stuff, the reader/listener searched for other meanings of this word.
How to place the punctuation in a sentence?
Well to look more organized and more professional, there's a sequence you must follow to use the punctuation correctly.
You place the comma/fullstop/colon/exclamation mark/question mark without leaving a space between it and the part before it.
For example:
Let's eat ,dad. -WRONG-
Let's eat , dad. -WRONG-
Let's eat, dad. -CORRECT-

Same goes for the rest.

Where to put capitals?

The capital must be at the first of any sentence or after a fullstop.
Capitalizing your whole sentence is the most annoying things the reader could see.
For example: Our team won the match yesterday. The match was fun to attend. -CORRECT-
Our Team Won The Match Yesterday. -WRONG-

Some few exceptions:
  • The pronoun I, it must be capital at any part of the sentence.
  • Countries, names, languages and nationalities.
  • Shortened names like: USA, UAE, KSA, UK etc.
Why is this important?
It's important because some of the players aren't capable of forming proper ordered sentences, that are hard to understand during the roleplay, so this should be helpful for them

I hope this was useful for whoever is encountering a difficulty in forming sentences.

Welcome to part 2 of my guide, I hope part 1 was useful enough for you!
Part 2 is mainly talking about how to improve your roleplay.
Well first of all for a quick reminder, what's roleplay?
Roleplay is acting a character like in a piece of theater, you choose how it appears, how it reacts and it's philosophy.
So mainly to improve your roleplay:
1-You must be creative and open minded, and you must know that this is a piece of acting, this isn't real life, so any offence IC shouldn't be taken personally.
2-You must have good English in-order to know how to explain your act precisely. Easy ways to improve your English: Read books, watch movies, or playing video games.
3-When explaining your act, add a lot of adjectives to be more precise in-order to make it easier when roleplaying with other parties, as long you're exaggerating and making yourself a superman or giving yourself abnormal powers.
4-In a /me, the verbs' tense is usually in the present continuous or present simple, this is a basic and the most simple form the /me, you can modify it as long as you're making your sentence comprehensive.
5-In a /do, the verbs' is usually present perfect or past perfect, also this is a basic and the most simple form of the /do, you can modify it as long as you're making your sentence comprehensive.
6-When roleplaying with someone, try to decrease the amount of actions in a /me or a /do, to give them the chance to roleplay with you and give you a response on your actions.
7-Keep it realistic, and try to find more than a way in your roleplay to avoid a gunfight, roleplaying a psycho is not tolerated.

Also roleplaying isn't the /me's and /do's only, it's wider than that.
IC applications are roleplay too (weapon license/job center's applications/SAPD's application)
Also writing a story for your character and a story of a crew you're forming is roleplay too.
So to make a good application to write a good story, you have to follow the following sequence to make it better and to have higher chances to achieve your goal:

1-Form paragraphs. Most paragraphs have only one idea or concept, you're talking about a specific thing in your paragraph, so if you want to talk about another idea or concept, form another paragraph to make your article clearer and more ordered.
2-To make your article rich, add more adjectives and write more detailed information about the main idea your talking about in a paragraph.
3-Make sure you're using punctuation to make your article more comprehensive and more ordered.
4-The verbs in each sentence or paragraph must be at a specific time, in a basic form.
5-The first paragraph (The introduction) is a quick summary of the article you're writing about. You have to sum up the ideas inside in the introduction in 2 or 3 lines, the introduction is the most important part of the story, it's the key that drags the reader's emotions and to tune his mood to your story, it must be nicely written and you don't have to put all your ideas in, you have to keep some as surprises in your main story.
6-The last paragraph must have a smaller and last summary, and the result and the current state of the mentioned in your article.
7-Try not to lose the main subject in your paragraphs.

How is this helpful?

Well this is helpful for whoever tries to improve himself and his roleplay in the server, it helps people in their applications and whoever trying to achieve good things in the server.

I hope this was helpful for all of you, newbies and veterans.
Last edited by Outlaw on March 9th, 2015, 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ThaCrypte
Lead Administrator
Game name: Paul_Henderson

Re: How to improve your writing? Look here!

March 7th, 2015, 11:12 pm

Fix the link :P

OT: Great guide, but add ";" as I'm struggling with it XD
hehe

Aleyaj
Enforcer
Game name: Daryl_Gates, Frank_Caci, Mario_Spera

March 7th, 2015, 11:13 pm

gg
(( good guide ))

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer
Game name: Khalil_Coke

March 7th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Nice, english class :)
Hit it and quit it

Outlaw
Outsider

March 7th, 2015, 11:15 pm

ThaCrypte wrote:Fix the link :P

OT: Great guide, but add ";" as I'm struggling with it XD
Well yeah, we all do, but it's not used a lot in a daily basis so it's not important though :P I can add it later.
If anyone can reform the layout of this guide, I'd be glad.

Ali
Soldier
Game name: Joseph_Bertolucco, Kevin_Nicholas

March 7th, 2015, 11:18 pm

This is an english guide not newbies guide :lol: .
Nice one anyway, keep it up ;) .

Outlaw
Outsider

March 7th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Ali wrote:This is an english guide not newbies guide :lol: .
Nice one anyway, keep it up ;) .
Some newbies need to learn the basics of writing, this improves RP aswell

Ali
Soldier
Game name: Joseph_Bertolucco, Kevin_Nicholas

March 7th, 2015, 11:33 pm

This is what Egyptians do :p
Last edited by Ali on March 7th, 2015, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tune
Made man
Game name: Jason_Verducci, Chris_Burns

March 7th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the English lesson!

I owe you 250 dollars IG, right???

--Left--

Gius
Made man
Game name: Giuseppe_Marchese

March 7th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Good guide for egyptians.

Aesthetic Guy
Consigliere
Game name: Rich_Piana, Tren_Bolone

March 7th, 2015, 11:37 pm

thanks for , the guide sir :D . it"s really help me in my english , xD

Outlaw
Outsider

March 7th, 2015, 11:42 pm

glad To Fix Your English ThoUgh.!?!:"

Deck
Made man
Game name: Nate_Harman

March 7th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Don`t you just love it when people use whacky grammar and punctuation ? Like this? XD No , me neither . It looks dumb .

(Aldo)

Sype
Made man
Game name: Michael_Dentico, Chester_Tattaglia

March 7th, 2015, 11:56 pm

Deck wrote:Don`t you just love it when people use whacky grammar and punctuation ? Like this? XD No , me neither . It looks dumb .

(Aldo)
well? -_- tbh It`s Kinda nice , But really it`s Good gramar and Shoulden´t be Maked fun of -___^ you´r just Jelyous.......

nice Guideance For egybet. Xdd

Bugsy
Made man
Game name: Bugsy_King, Nina_Countess, Chriss_Angel, Wingate_Washington

March 8th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Thumbs up. more threads like this are need in the community.
★★★★
BK
fat, round & can roll
OrkaHaris wrote:
September 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm
We're bulls - milking the system. What we once had; we'll have again, soon. I am not worried. We're the super-size option at McDonalds. We're Russian propaganda. Everyone had 1-3 years to prepare, a lot of our resources were also wiped, yet still no one is ready for us.

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

March 8th, 2015, 10:31 pm

btw.. I'm confused.
Outlaw wrote: Where to put capitals?

Capitalizing your whole sentence is the most annoying things the reader could see.
For example: Our team won the match yesterday. the match was fun to attend. -CORRECT-
Hit it and quit it

Aesthetic Guy
Consigliere
Game name: Rich_Piana, Tren_Bolone

March 8th, 2015, 10:32 pm

TariQue wrote:btw.. I'm confused.
Outlaw wrote: Where to put capitals?

For example: Our team won the match yesterday. the match was fun to attend. -CORRECT-
strong aware

Outlaw
Outsider

March 8th, 2015, 10:41 pm

It was a typo, thanks for notifying me.

Vic
Soldier
Game name: Jaffar_Pearce, James_Lahey, Leroy_Lennox, Sebastian_Schoenbeck, Jjjjjjjjjjjjj_Jjjjjjjjjjjjj

March 8th, 2015, 10:41 pm

lmao next thacrypte he is
Fuck man... rulebreaking is more addictive than heroin.
https://youtu.be/zN8VOsJCJLk?t=37

CruzTattaglia
Faction Leader
Game name: Cruz_Tattaglia, Built_Different

March 9th, 2015, 12:37 am

You're*
Tattaglia
Tattaglia:

- Fighting at willowfield (their HQ/Heal house)
- More than 55,000,000 materials were used
- Always carbomb activated (having their carbomb at their HQ)
- Always equal numbers/more numbers than Cuneo
- Freeuse of Heroin at any given time
- They choose when the fights will be (Announcing proper mass logins at their time when they have full sniper team)

Yet cannot get **40k** money difference

Outlaw
Outsider

March 9th, 2015, 12:50 am

Cruz_Gonzalez wrote:You're*
Quote the part please.

Zakbro0s
Associate
Game name: Antonio_Calvarese, Robert_Andirson, Tyler_Pixley

March 9th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Since I can see too many people IG can't speak English well or they fuck up everything by putting capital letters in the middle of the sentence so I can see that this is helpful. Good work :)

Aldo
Consigliere
Game name: Aldo_Barzetti, Andrea_Scagliotto

March 9th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Gius wrote:Good guide for egyptians.
For PoT exactly He Is Very Noob ........

@Deck what ?!

Jakie
Consigliere
Game name: Jakie_Pearce, Abod_Abdallah

March 9th, 2015, 4:51 pm

aaaa I shold mek Gueod BouT sIr Langeog
tjsl wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 12:10 am
not good at shoot, but good at heart ;)

Outlaw
Outsider

March 9th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Updated.
Outlaw wrote:
Roleplay is acting a character like in a piece of theater, you choose how it appears, how it reacts and it's philosophy.
1-You must be creative and open minded, and you must know that this is a piece of acting, this isn't real life, so any offence IC shouldn't be taken personally.
2-You must have good English in-order to know how to explain your act precisely. Easy ways to improve your English: Read books, watch movies, or playing video games.
3-When explaining your act, add a lot of adjectives to be more precise in-order to make it easier when roleplaying with other parties, as long you're exaggerating and making yourself a superman or giving yourself abnormal powers.
4-In a /me, the verbs' tense is usually in the present continuous or present simple, this is a basic and the most simple form the /me, you can modify it as long as you're making your sentence comprehensive.
5-In a /do, the verbs' is usually present perfect or past perfect, also this is a basic and the most simple form of the /do, you can modify it as long as you're making your sentence comprehensive.
6-When roleplaying with someone, try to decrease the amount of actions in a /me or a /do, to give them the chance to roleplay with you and give you a response on your actions.
7-Keep it realistic, and try to find more than a way in your roleplay to avoid a gunfight, roleplaying a psycho is not tolerated.

IC applications are roleplay too (weapon license/job center's applications/SAPD's application)
Also writing a story for your character and a story of a crew you're forming is roleplay too.
So to make a good application to write a good story, you have to follow the following sequence to make it better and to have higher chances to achieve your goal:

1-Form paragraphs. Most paragraphs have only one idea or concept, you're talking about a specific thing in your paragraph, so if you want to talk about another idea or concept, form another paragraph to make your article clearer and more ordered.
2-To make your article rich, add more adjectives and write more detailed information about the main idea your talking about in a paragraph.
3-Make sure you're using punctuation to make your article more comprehensive and more ordered.
4-The verbs in each sentence or paragraph must be at a specific time, in a basic form.
5-The first paragraph (The introduction) is a quick summary of the article you're writing about. You have to sum up the ideas inside in the introduction in 2 or 3 lines, the introduction is the most important part of the story, it's the key that drags the reader's emotions and to tune his mood to your story, it must be nicely written and you don't have to put all your ideas in, you have to keep some as surprises in your main story.
6-The last paragraph must have a smaller and last summary, and the result and the current state of the mentioned in your article.

How is this helpful?

Well this is helpful for whoever tries to improve himself and his roleplay in the server, it helps people in their applications and whoever trying to achieve good things in the server.

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

March 9th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Outlaw wrote:Updated.
Outlaw wrote:

How is this helpful?

Perhaps you can just edit your thread add part 2 link to part 1 thread
and make a new thread for part 2. :)
Hit it and quit it

Outlaw
Outsider

March 9th, 2015, 6:57 pm

One of them might get burried in the pages, and I'd rather have one thread nicely built in a hope of getting a sticky note for it so people can throw a look in a time or another.

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

March 9th, 2015, 8:49 pm

If it's only one, no need to call it part two tho.. just updated ;)
Hit it and quit it

Tracey
Outsider
Game name: Anthony_Capo

March 9th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I prefer people from Egypt to use this, like bassem ............
chrissy is swag

Return to “Newbie Guides”