There is currently a faction war going on! View Stats
There are currently 3 active property auctions. View Active Auctions
Kody Vendetta
Enforcer
Game name: Khalil_Coke

[GUIDE] IM-RP IRC Network & installing a Client [Recommended]

June 30th, 2015, 8:52 am

Hello, welcome to IM-RP IRC Network & Client Guide.

Introduction

Most players have no idea what's a IRC and why do we need it right? That's why I'm here! I'm not sure if this could have said any better but let me catch ya' with the basics. But why am I making this guide? Well I'd like to see more users joining the IRC to communicate & discuss about Italy Mafia, players needs to be more connected to the Staff Team. It's even a quicker way to contact woot, K3lroy, Makke or Ozzy, they're always online to have a little chat with.

If you'd like to become a admin or helper then this is a good way to communicate with them and prove how smart you are, help players who'll be joining via the web client etc. This is also a perfect way to discuss about server updates, wars or suggestions towards the server to admins. It is indeed the fastest and quickest way to communicate with multiple admins of IM-RP, we'll be creating a #irchelp for any IRC related help and a #chat channel for everyone to join and have fun. The Official #italymafia channel is for new users to join and ask for any server related help or perhaps discuss, now lets begin shall we?

What's a IRC?

The Acronym "IRC" stands for Internet Relay Chat, it's an application layer protocol that facilitates the transfer of messages in the form of text. The chat process works on a client/server networking model. IRC clients are computer programs that a user can install on their system to be able to connect to the IRC Network(irc.sa-mp.im).

Once connected, you'll be able to use a wide variety of commands for IG purposes, and other international use. For our IM-RP server, we got 3 main & widely used players commands.
  • These players commands are: !admins , !helpers & !players.
    • !admins - Used to view the list of available admins currently logged & authorized IG.
    • !helpers - Used to view the list of available helpers currently logged & authorized IG.
    • !players - Used to check the static data of available players online on the server.
  • Feel free to quickly connect to the IRC server here(without a client, only a web browser needed): http://sa-mp.im/server/chat
    It's a very fast & a quick way to connect to the IRC for help from available IRC admins & helpers.
    Please proceed reading the guide if you'll be online often for reasonable convos rather than connecting for only help.
Other commands are available but will be updated ASAP, the IRC consist of multiple features which makes it unique & valuable in all parties. Now you'll need to know the prefixes & what's their meaning, once you're on a IRC client other from mibbit. You'll see prefixes infront of nicknames, these prefixes represent user modes. The most common and popular mode is the "@Nick", this represent an operator of the channel.

The Prefixes, Names, Definitions and channel modes(in bracket) listed below:

• ~ Channel Owner:
    • This represent the Channel founder/owner of a channel and will be shown like this "~Nick". (+q)
    • On the server's official #italymafia channel, only the server owner is given this mode.
  • & Channel Admin:
    • This represent the Channel Admin & is also known as the protect usermode. (+a)
    • On the server's official #italymafia channel, only Lead admins, Head admins & the Manager can be given this mode.
  • @ Channel Operator:
    • This is the Channel's operator mode, also known as "Op". (+o)
    • On the server's official #italymafia channel, only Basic & Senior admins may be given this mode.
  • % Channel Half Operator:
    • This is the Channel's Half Operator, also known as HalfOp. (+h)
    • On the server's official #italymafia channel, only Trial admins may be given this mode.
  • + Channel's Voice:
    • Represent a user with Voice, used once talk permission is required. (+v)
    • On the server's official #italymafia channel, only helpers may be given this mode.

IRC Services

• Internet Relay Chat services (usually called IRC services) is a name for a set of features implemented on many modern IRC networks. Services are automated bots with special status which are generally used to provide users with access with certain privileges and protection.
  • NickServ:

NickServ is one of the Services available on a large number of IRC networks. This enables users to register their nick, so they are the only user with that name, also helps to prevent confusion and false identification. Below is some example of how NickServ commands work on IMRP's IRC. Keep in mind that not every IRC server uses the same software and that these commands may not be able operate on other IRC networks.

Note: The below commands need to be run from the server window and not within a channel or message window if you expect to see returned results.
    • Spoiler

Code: Select all

/msg nickserv help
      or
      /nickserv help

This command displays the help screen in the main server window in IRC, displaying all of the available commands NickServ is capable of doing. It will be send as a notice to your IRC Client.
      Spoiler

/nickserv register password e-mail
      This is how you register the nick you are currently using, you would substitute the "password for the password" you want to use to login and e-mail with your personal e-mail address, if you forgot your password, woot can send a confirmation code to your email for recovery.
      If the nick you are attempting to register is already being used by someone, you will receive an error similar to: "Nickname nick is already registered!"

Spoiler

/nickserv identify password
      Once your nick has been registered, each time you log into the IRC server, if you want to use your registered nick, you must identify to NickServ using that command before you can be authorized. You would substitute "password" with the password you used earlier to register.
  • ChanServ:

ChanServ, just as NickServ, it is one of the most common IRC Services on a large number of IRC networks. This enables users to register a channel and always remain in control. Below is some example of how ChanServ commands work on IMRP's IRC. Keep in mind that not every IRC server uses the same software and that these commands may not be able operate on other IRC networks.

Note: The below commands need to be run from the server window and not within a channel or message window if you expect to see returned results.
    • Spoiler

/msg chanserv help
      or
      /chanserv help
      This command displays the help screen in the main server window in IRC, displaying all of the available commands ChanServ is capable of doing. It will be send as a notice to your IRC Client.
      Spoiler

/msg chanserv register #channel password description

This is how you would register a channel with IMRP's IRC server. Keep in mind that to use this command, you must be registered and identified with NickServ. You would replace "#channel" with the name of the channel you want register (keep the #), replace password with the password you want to use for the channel, and finally the description of the description of the channel.
  • HostServ:

HostServ, just as NickServ & ChanServ, it's one of the most common IRC Services on a large number on IRC networks. This enables users provide customized hostname for users which makes it easier to identify members of a organization and maintain a professional appearance or for your personal use(Must be requested). Luke once asked me how did I changed my hostname, now I can explain and show you an example.
    • vHost:
      HostServ assign vhost to IRC users to use. A 'vHost' (virtual host) allows users to hide their hostmask (e.g., [email protected]) to something more creative (e.g., [email protected]).
      • Requesting a vHost:
        Note: You must have a registered nickname in order to request a vHost.
      • Type /msg HostServ REQUEST vhost.goes.here
      • Your request will be sent to all online IRC Operators to either accept/deny.(most likely woot).
      • Once it has been accepted, type /msg HostServ ON and check your hostname with /whois Yournick.
      • Congratulations! You've successfully assigned a vhost to your nickname!
IRC Channels and Client

• IRC Client - The IRC client is a program that runs on your computer and sends and receives messages to and from an IRC server. The IRC server, in turn, is responsible for making sure that all messages are broadcast to everyone participating in a discussion. Once you're connected to the IRC Client you'll be able to connect to Italy Mafia's IRC Network and join the following channels; #italymafia, #irchelp & #chat.
  • IRC Channel - The IRC Channel is a small chatroom with a prefix "#" in front the name for individuals and organizations to communicate, share, play and work with each other on IRC networks around the world. Use /list to see available channels on the network.
What's a ZNC/BNC?

• ZNC is an IRC network bouncer software that comes with various modules and features that can cater to your usage requirements. It is used to connect users to the IRC server to receive messages while being offline on your computer. It can detach the client from the actual IRC server, and also from selected channels. Once you got a IRC Bouncer connected to the IRC Network, you can turn off your PC/Network and still be connected without disconnecting from the server.
Setting up and installing a IRC Client

• I'm going to show you how to install both HexChat & AdiIRC, this is just what I preferred. You can use mIRC or other common IRC clients, your choice. HexChat was suggested by ThaCrypte since he's using it, while I'd suggest new users to use AdiIRC.
    • Installing AdiIRC v1.9.6 - Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users (Both 32 & 64 bit OS).
      Spoiler
Last edited by Kody Vendetta on June 30th, 2015, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hit it and quit it

ThaCrypte
Lead Administrator
Game name: Paul_Henderson

Re: Connecting to IM-RP IRC Server & installing a Client Guide.

June 30th, 2015, 8:53 am

I like the guide (and yes, i did read it)
hehe

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

Re: Connecting to IM-RP IRC Server & installing a Client Guide.

June 30th, 2015, 9:14 am

Thanks bee, much appreciated! I've shown ThaCrypte 1 minute before the release date <3, Thanks a lot! :)
Hit it and quit it

ThaCrypte
Lead Administrator
Game name: Paul_Henderson

Re: [GUIDE] IM-RP IRC Network & installing a Client [Recommended]

July 1st, 2015, 2:17 pm

Bump, cuz it's cool guide etc.
hehe

Luke
Enforcer
Game name: Luke_McWood, Luke_Howard

July 1st, 2015, 8:08 pm

Impressive, what an honor that my name is mentioned here. I would recommend this guide to all (new) IRC users.

Mueller
Caporegime
Game name: Alessio_Raggati, Alessio_Porcello

July 1st, 2015, 8:11 pm

ThaCrypte wrote:Bump, cuz it's cool guide etc.
No need to bump after a day...

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

July 1st, 2015, 9:51 pm

Luke wrote:Impressive, what an honor that my name is mentioned here. I would recommend this guide to all (new) IRC users.
Indeed, we got some new users joining the IRC discussing and having fun, I truly hope others will give it a try(Including faction leaders).
Hit it and quit it

Droid
Outsider
Game name: Giuseppe_Ossola, Andrew_Walker

July 3rd, 2015, 2:17 pm

Great guide

How can I send a msg to someone IG from IRC

Kody Vendetta
Enforcer

July 3rd, 2015, 3:59 pm

Droid wrote:Great guide

How can I send a msg to someone IG from IRC
Apparently no, only to admins which means if you need quick help and there's no administrators IG but they're online on the IRC, you can use /irc <message> and they'll respond ASAP if not occupied.

Nevertheless if you want to contact the IRC a quicker way without installing a client, as I stated in the guide. You can connect to the IRC default #italymafia channel with available admins here: http://sa-mp.im/server/chat. Only difference is that, if you got a client, you can launch it from your desktop and connect without opening webpage everytime. Perhaps be online with them more often rather than having your browser tab open.
Hit it and quit it

S99
Government
Game name: Stuart_Lazovsky, Stuart_Smith, Stuart_Henderson

August 1st, 2015, 10:26 pm

This deserves to be read - IRC is a great method of communication

About BNC's;

Me and Jayz have setup a BNC business and as a special deal with IM we are offering all IM users (who will be active on the IRC) a FREE BNC for use on IM only.

We can grantee a smooth transition and it will ensure you don't miss any of that chit chat on the channels.

Jayz/ me will help you set it up and so on, If your interested PM me. (S99)
[+] K3
Marco Sanchez says: (( LOL NICE PLACE STUART ))
Marco Sanchez says: (( fking baws ))
(1337) Blista Compact | Alarm: 3 | Location: Red County | Mileage: 298km | Plate: SA1337 | DupeKey: Makke_Benton
Former: Deputy Governor// Deputy Mayor // SAPD Sergeant //Kemirov Buglator

Eduardo
Made man
Game name: Victor_Makarov, Patrick_McGuigan

January 16th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Great guide. I think everybody that isn't a expert with IRC should read it. Keep it up man ;)

Return to “Newbie Guides”