There is currently a faction war going on! View Stats
Luigi Tattaglia
Retired Admin
Game name: Clint_Marshall, Luigi_Tattaglia

[GUIDE-FIX] CPU spiking and eventual sound distortion caused by it

September 2nd, 2013, 1:58 am

Before you continue reading, let me tell you ahead that you should not try this out incase you're not having any problems running SA-MP. You can use this method if you wish to see improved results on other games, but this is outrightly intended to increase your performance whilst playing SA-MP as this community is based on that multiplayer mod

I am posting this because I've recently noticed that there is increased number of players experiencing frame lag when they've got more than enough resources in regards of their PC's specifications to run GTA SA(and SA-MP) like a charm. I've helped another player with this and when I checked for a thread on our forums in order to help community members fix eventual frame lag when they shouldn't have it, there was none. This is why I'm making this thread.

This method helps to remove annoying CPU spikes which can cause your game to lag(frame lag) and other side-effects caused by it. It also helps correct eventual overclocking damage you might've caused in an attempt to boost your PC performance.

This will primarily help you if your processor is lagging despite the fact that you've got every CPU workrate-consuming program off and incase you cannot detect a logical reason for your CPU spikes.

NOTES:

I've tested this on computers using one core. Any PC with more than one core doesn't need this anyway because I highly doubt those PCs would have any problems running. You can try it out with processors that have several cores. I will explain the process in detail in order to make it more clear for new players who can possibly struggle with finding everything.

The prefered OS for doing this is Windows XP. I've not tested it with other OS for the reason I've stated above.

Step one:
  • - Select 'My computer' via the right mouse button;

- Head towards 'Properties';

- Select the 'Hardware' tab;

- Open 'Device Manager';

- Expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers';
Step two:
  • - Find the 'Primary IDE channel';

- Right click it, head towards 'Properties' and then open 'Advanced settings';

- Upon opening this, you will get a listing of two devices - Device 0 and Device 1;

- You will notice three tabs in each single one. Make sure that the following is set as follows(in DEVICE 0):

* 'Device Type' is set to 'Auto-detection'
    * 'Transfer Mode' should be set to 'DMA if available'
    * 'Current transfer mode' should write either 'Ultra DMA mode' or 'DMA mode'
NOTE wrote:
**This is the most IMPORTANT part of the entire process**
if the third tab says 'Ultra DMA mode' or 'DMA mode' then this GUIDE won't boost your CPU performance and you should abort it;

if the third tab says 'PIO', then your processor's performance will be drasticly increased if you finish this process;

Step three:

- Incase the third slot is set to 'PIO', then stay at the 'Primary IDE channel', right click it, select 'Properties' and then select 'Settings';

- Select the 'Driver' option;

- Select 'Uninstall', after which the PC will reboot itself;

That is it! With this you will actually change the processor transfer mode to a faster one which your processor will know to appreciate. You won't need to scramble around BIOS any longer in order to find what isn't functioning properly. This also won't require you to go to the 'Event viewer' in order to detect any errors in regards of hardware which I did in order to find eventual problems.

Post your feedback about this. It is safe to use.
Last edited by Luigi Tattaglia on September 2nd, 2013, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

leonzio
Consigliere
Game name: Leonzio_Leone

Re: [GUIDE-FIX] CPU spiking and eventual sound distortion caused by it

September 2nd, 2013, 2:12 am

Should be moved to Newbie Guides.
spoder on-to the rescue!

Luigi Tattaglia
Retired Admin

September 2nd, 2013, 2:14 am

Trapy wrote:Moved to Newbie Guides.
I don't think it belongs to newbie guides:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33851

Many IM players who're around here for a while are having problems with this, but have no solution to it.

Its best if you move it back, for the sake of the visibility.
Last edited by Luigi Tattaglia on September 2nd, 2013, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

leonzio
Consigliere
Game name: Leonzio_Leone

September 2nd, 2013, 2:15 am

Luigi Tattaglia wrote:
Trapy wrote:Moved to Newbie Guides.
I don't think it belongs to newbie guides:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33851

Many IM players who're around here for quite a while are having problems with this, but have no solution to it. Its best if you move it back.
It's checked there too with the sign "Moved".

Luigi Tattaglia
Retired Admin

September 2nd, 2013, 2:16 am

There are many 'GUIDE' tagged topics in the first section already. Players will look there first. Yeah, I know it would still be there with a 'Moved' tag, but theres no need to move it in the first place I guess.

Daci
Donator
Game name: Edward_Floyd

September 2nd, 2013, 2:19 am

Well there is one more thread of you at newbie guides; this one will be still here tho + Brilliant Guide.

CruzTattaglia
Faction Leader
Game name: Cruz_Tattaglia, Built_Different

September 2nd, 2013, 9:21 am

I will try this out on my other PC, my parents had some difficulty opening Facebook xDDD
Tattaglia
Tattaglia:

- Fighting at willowfield (their HQ/Heal house)
- More than 55,000,000 materials were used
- Always carbomb activated (having their carbomb at their HQ)
- Always equal numbers/more numbers than Cuneo
- Freeuse of Heroin at any given time
- They choose when the fights will be (Announcing proper mass logins at their time when they have full sniper team)

Yet cannot get **40k** money difference

DaoC
Enforcer
Game name: Vidkun_Quisling, Reid_Andrius, Lazar_Angelov

September 2nd, 2013, 10:12 am

Great guid.

Neil-dono
Associate
Game name: Neil_Donnelly

September 2nd, 2013, 10:27 am

Very helpful as always spoder.
dyt

Aleya BANNED

September 3rd, 2013, 3:00 am

Did anyone try this out? I'd like to hear some feedback before I try it even though I trust Luigi xP

Murican
Associate
Game name: Danny_Cooper, Steven_Lippi

September 9th, 2013, 1:10 am

im stuck on step two help please

Luigi Tattaglia
Retired Admin

September 28th, 2013, 12:41 am

You should easily be able to set it to Ultra DMA 5 mode incase you got up-to-date BIOS versions. The same way with the example I gave.

However, set your SATA controller mode to AHCI for better performance. Hope this helps.

Return to “Newbie Guides”